Pages

Saturday, May 05, 2007

It's Alive!!

Some things never cease to amaze me.

Months ago my computer simply stopped functioning. It wouldn't start up for anything. I was afraid it was some problem with the motherboard and that I would have to buy a new one. After giving it some thought, I realized that it was much more likely that it was a problem with the power supply, since the problem was related to it.

And then I spent a few months procrastinating the acquisition of a new one so I could once again use my computer at home.

Last thursday I got access to a multimeter so I could test it and be sure - I didn't want to buy a new power supply for nothing.

So, last night I did the testing. I tested the supply, and - for my own surprise - there was nothing wrong with it. And so I went into testing other things, only to find that everything was fine. I tried, then, the AC stabilizer. Nothing wrong with it, either.

I looked at the power cable, wondered if Murphy had been that evil with me, and tested it. Heh. That was it. A malfunctioning (?!) power cable had made me spend more than three months without using my PC.

I replaced the cable, and turned the computer on. Didn't take more than a few seconds for it to boot and ask me for my password.

And so, here I am now, posting this from my own PC again.

PS: There was another little problem with memory, but it turned out to be just a bad contact, I hope. I just switched the slot and it worked...

0 comments: