Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Back to the new old life

I’ve had the time of my life in that wonderful city.

The above phrase expresses the core of the last three months: it was one of the most exhilarating periods of my life. When I arrived there, not so many weeks ago, I was not sure of what I was about to find, and I must admit, felt quite anxious about the people I was about to meet.

And then on the very first day all those worries vanished, as I realized that all my experiences would be good in the same measure of how I faced them, after all, as the saying goes, “beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder”. There’s nothing like meeting the right people at the right time.

I had already heard a lot about the city even before arriving there – everyone seemed to have an opinion about it, some of them not even having been there. I promptly ignored all of them, however; I wanted to experience it at my own pace, and in my own way.

The first week actually was one of the best; that time of discovery when everything is fresh and new usually is. It was no different for me, and even more so because at the end of that first week I had met a few very important people and had had a couple of very personal and cathartic experiences that completely changed certain aspects of my life that really needed a stir.

As the subsequent weeks went (actually flew) by I gradually settled down and started to feel at home there; I became used to the feeling of the streets, to the cosmopolitan aura about the “cafés” and parks and to that intoxicating vibe that dwells in the air; it’s not an easy feeling to portray. It is like, even though being a lot smaller than São Paulo, Buenos Aires is just as great, in its own way.

Regarding work, I feel like it was the most productive period of time I have ever had in a very long time. That was possible thanks to a handful of fantastic people I had the opportunity of meeting, work colleagues with knowledge and lots of enthusiasm, in an environment where I have never felt uncomfortable. Some people may disagree with that, but it was really refreshing to be in a different place after six years in the same lab.

I have had more than my fair share of mishaps, to be sure; not easy ones. With little effort I can remember at least four quick, terrifying, adrenaline-filled moments I managed to get through and laugh about later.

There was one thing I didn’t really enjoy, though. It was the constant feeling of saying good bye. For the duration of these months I got to meet a lot of people; and, at some point, I had to say good bye to them. It didn’t matter if they were just going home or moving forward in their journeys: I’m never good at saying good bye. The worse it feels, the worse I react. At some point, however, we need to realize that these moments are a part of life and that eventually we say those words to all.

It is my intention, however, to see you people again, and rest assured that I will. As I said on my last night in Buenos Aires, ”no digo adiós, digo hasta pronto”.

This is my last post in “Buenos Aires edition”. Next time Stairway to Geekiness will go back to the old, plain edition. But it’s never going to be the same.

0 comments: