Pages

Monday, April 21, 2008

Happy, but a bit frustrated

As previously mentioned, I passed the theoretical examination last thursday.

No surprises there. As predicted, it was pathetic. The only question (out of thirty) I missed concerned knowing by heart the seriousness of "not updating the register of vehicle or driver's license". Honestly, how would that be useful in traffic?

Certainly it's desirable to know of such things, but I don't think it's essential to becoming a good driver. Actually, I think that, being quite permissive, I can count on the fingers of one hand how many questions on that examination in fact evaluated anything.

But that's not what scares me the most. What really freaks me out is the driver of the van that took us to the Transit Department committing countless infractions (including overloading the vehicle). It's a guy who's only taking the time to go through the habilitation process because he needs the license to get a job (he's been driving a motorbike for more than six months). It's a guy who hopes "this time he's gonna get through" (and who apparently has never seen a woman before). Being aware that people like that are going eventually to be on the streets (if they aren't already) is what freaks me out, because that means that, even if I'm careful enough, they certainly won't be, and they will cause trouble (perhaps that's why traffic is so chaotic around here).

Anyway, now I'm having driving classes - the real ones. For starters, I can say I like driving. Which is good and bad at the same time. On one hand, driving can be a pleasant experience. On the other hand, however, I have frustrating times ahead of me, because I'm switching from not-driving-because-I-don't-have-a-license to I-have-a-license-but-I-can't-drive-anyway.

But I don't think that really matters anyway. Eventually I will get a car and will be subject to the stressful activity of driving (?) in the increasingly problematic traffic jams that so well characterize the city of São Paulo.

1 comments:

Paulo Simões said...

The secret of good driving is to pay attention to the others drivers and predict their actions. Usually, weird and careless actions... like brownian motion... You can easily handle the rest!

See ya in the next traffic jam!